FFEA Conference Sustainability Goals
The target for FFEA Annual Convention will be to reduce our footprint and cut our landfill waste by 50%. We can’t do this alone, and with YOUR help, we will save approximately 2,000 pounds of waste from going into our Florida landfills!
What is a Green Event?
An event that incorporates environmental consciousness with the goal of minimizing negative impact on the environment by using few resources and reducing waste.
As planners we are tasked with understanding and responding to the impact and consequences our plans have on the environment. “Being sustainable is vital in ensuring that we have, and will continue to have in the future, the resources we need as humans.” (IELA Sustainability Guidelines)
FFEA Sustainability goals for this year are to:
- Use a venue certified by the Florida Green Lodging Association
- Reduce waste by 50%
- Recycle and donate event supplies
- Educate our members and conference attendees on sustainable practices
- Use reusable products and reduce single use plastics and paper
- Avoid Styrofoam packing peanuts, use instead recyclable packaging
- Compost leftover scraps
- Implement a Food Rescue Program and donate left-over meals
How is FFEA accomplishing our goals:
- We chose Hyatt Regency Coconut Point which is designated as a Florida Green Lodging Property. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Florida Green Lodging Program recognizes Hyatt Regency Coconut Point for their voluntary commitment to conserve and protect Florida’s natural resources.
- FFEA’s commitment to behavior changes will decease what goes in the trash:
- Attendees should leave badge and lanyard in collection boxes at the end of the conference. FFEA will donate and/or reuse.
- Eliminate paper including brochures and opt for digital communications
- Eliminate single use plastics and plastic bottles, and encourage attendees to bring their own reusable water bottles
- Have recycling and composting stations marked and available
- Use reusable utensils and table ware
Here is how YOU can help:
- Bring your own reusable water bottle
- Attend the FFEA Sustainability education session
- Utilize the recycling and compost stations
- Use the FFEA app to get all the information needed for the conference
- Don’t bring brochures - use digital options over printed material
- Promote with eco-conscious “swag” (e.g. Reusable tote bags, bamboo cutlery kits, plant seeds, recycled mugs or refillable water bottles).
- Consider carpooling with your local region (check the Community Forum for others in your area attending)
Interested in joining the GREEN TEAM? Contact our Sustainability Chair, Rosemary Prince.